Business Center

The Business Center supports the financial and personnel needs for all faculty, students and staff in the School of Anthropology.

We will review and secure college-level approval for all transactions, along with ensuring that all documents are in compliance with established University policies and procedures.

Our goal is to provide reliable fiscal management, reporting and services to the School.

Reimbursements are processed through UAccess Financials and then routed to the account Fiscal Officer and Accounts Payable for approval. Requests for reimbursement should be submitted to the Business Center as soon as possbile after the initial expense, and within a reasonable period of time. Reimbursements submitted within 90 days will be considered qualified and nontaxable under the Accountable Plan Time Limitation.


An employee can submit a request for reimbursement as long as the expense is reasonable and in accordance with University of Arizona Guidelines. If you are unsure of the purchase, check with the Business Center beforehand. Send all requests to and include a completed Expense Reimbursement Form with a detailed Business Purpose and supporting documentation. Any physical receipts can be delivered to our office (Haury 223) or placed in our mailbox in the Main Office (Haury 210).

Download Expense Reimbursement Form

Non Employee and Foreign Visitors

If you plan on inviting a guest (Guest Speaker, Visiting Scholar, consultant, etc.) and want to provide any kind of reimbursement and/or honorarium, please consult with the Business Center prior to issuing any kind of commitment to ensure reimbursement is allowable under University of Arizona policy.

Travel Reimbursement

Upon your return, organize receipts into the following categories: Mileage, Meals, Lodging, Transportation, and Miscellaneous. Then, complete a Travel Expense Report to itemize your expenses. Send your request to and include the completed Travel Expense Report and supporting documentation. Any physical receipts can be delivered to our office (Haury 223) or placed in our mailbox in the Main Office (Haury 210).

Travel Expense Report

Additional Resources

A Travel Authorization Form is required for University business exceeding 35 miles from a traveler's primary duty post. Employees, Students, and Designated Campus Colleagues (DCC) should complete this form prior to departure, regardless of the funding source. If your travel plans change, inform us and we will contact Accounts Payable to update the official University record.

Travel Forms

Once you know of your travel, complete a Travel Authorization Form. Each trip requires a new form. If there are any changes in your travel plans, please inform the business office immediately. Faculty must also complete a SOA Travel Supplemental Form.

Required Sections

  • Traveler Information
    • Dept Code: 0410-Anthro, 0414-BARA
  • Travel Details
  • Exceptions if applicable
  • International Travel if applicable
    • Register your trip in the UA International Travel Registry
      • Submit at a minimum of 30 days prior to travel
      • Document the Registry # on your Travel Authorization Form

Route via Adobe Sign

Follow the instructions located at the bottom of the Travel Authorization Form to route to signers via Adobe Sign. We DO NOT need your signature unless you are requesting an advance.

Travel Authorization Form

Group Travel

Are you organizing a team or group to attend a conference or participate in a field project or school? Please email a list of attendees and travel itinerary. An individual Travel Authorization Form is required for each person in the group if any deviations occur from the group travel itinerary such as dates, location(s) or personal time. Also let us know if the group travel involves non-University employees as additional information about the individual is needed.

Additional Resources


International Travel Policies and Procedures

Operational Advance

Operational Advances are provided to authorized University employees, graduate students, or Designated Campus Colleagues (DCCs) with Affiliate or Associate status working under the supervision of an Authorized Supervisor for expenses such as group travel, field research, and various other circumstances where it is not practical to use the campus purchasing and payment system, such as when your research requires payments to individuals while on travel or to research participants. When involving payments to participants, we will also need your IRB Letter.

Please follow the instructions provided by Financial Services on Establishing an Operational Advance.

Travel Advance

Travel Advances are provided to University employees or current graduate students for business travel expenses such as airfare, lodging, transportation and meals. A minimum of $250 may be issued by direct deposit up to 7 days prior to travel and must be repaid or settled within 10 days after the trip ends.

Use the Travel Expense Worksheet to estimate your expenses. Then complete the bottom portion of your Travel Authorization Form prior to routing for approval. Route via Adobe Sign to:

  1. Authorized Department Approver -
  2. Fund Approver -
  3. Travel Advance Payee - Yourself

Additional Resources

There are two basic stages to a research project. The first stage, known as the Project Proposal, typically occurs after a call for research project submission has been made by a grantor such as the National Science Foundation.

Once you have decided that you will be submitting a proposal, your work as the Principal Investigator begins. As you develop your proposal, the Business Center will assist you in creating necessary budgets and navigating the UAccess Research site, which is how all research proposals are processed at The University of Arizona.

IMPORTANT: All proposals, routed UAR proposals and electronic submission, should be submitted to SPCS in final form 3 full business days prior to the funding-agency deadline (8:00 a.m. the day it is due to SPCS).

The Proposal Review Process

All University of Arizona external grant applications must be submitted for internal review by Sponsored Projects via UAccess Research prior to submission to the sponsoring organization. The review process begins with the Anthropology Business Center and your Faculty Advisor discussing your project and ensuring all items have been addressed prior to submitting in UAccess Research. 

Required Documents

Each sponsor will have its own required documents to accompany the proposal at submission time. However, the University typically only requires 3 documents in order to provide a complete review of the project. 

  • Completed Budget (reviewed by Business Office and in Excel format)
  • Budget Justification/Narrative (matches the Budget and details each item)
  • Project Summary/Narrative (Brief document summarizing the project)

If the sponsor requires additional documents signed by the institution they should be included as well.


As a graduate student you will have access to many different sponsors. Some will have a rolling deadline and some will have a stated deadline. The University requires that all research proposals be in an approved state in UAccess Research at least 3 days prior to the sponsor deadline. In order to meet this requirement the Business Center has its own internal deadlines.

  • 30-90 days prior to deadline inform Business Center of intent to apply.
    • This will vary based on the complexity of the proposal. 
  • 10-30 days prior to deadline the Business Center and applicant will submit the proposal in UAccess Research.
  • 3-10 days prior to deadline the proposal will be internally reviewed and approved.

UAccess Research

All proposals must be routed electronically via UAccess Research. The following instructional links are designed to walk you through the submittal process.

Sub Contracts

Additional Resources

Visit the University of Arizona Sponsored Projects site for more information.

Congratulations! Your grant submission was successful and you have been awarded a grant. 

Now what? The University of Arizona Financial Services Office will work with Sponsored Projects to create an account for you to access your funds as you complete your research. Once the the account has been established, the Business Center will work with you in administering your grant. 

Monthly Reports

On a monthly basis you will receive updated account information. Tracking project budgets and spending will allow you to better and more efficiently manage your project. If you have multiple projects these reports will be very useful.

Additional Resources

Visit the University of Arizona Sponsored Projects site for more information.

When hiring ANY new individual it is recommended that you set an appointment to meet with someone in the Business Center so that they can answer any questions or concerns you may have about the hiring process. Any new hire will be processed through the Anthropology Business Center in conjunction with the SBS Dean's Office and Systems Control. 

Faculty Supplemental Compensation

To ensure compliance with federal and sponsor guidelines, certain services rendered related to a grant or contract, and for specific instructional activities, must be identified as supplemental compensation and are subject to established limits. Duties or services assumed to be an employee’s obligation to the University are generally not allowable for additional compensation. Exceptions to the criteria below must be approved by the President or his designee.

Academic Appointment Criteria

  • May not exceed one-third (3/9) of the academic year salary
  • May only occur outside the appointment period for faculty with the exception of budgeted interdepartmental consulting on grants and contracts
  • Hourly pay rate formula
    • During semesters:  academic salary / 1600 hours
    • Summer/Winter:  academic salary * 0.00072

Fiscal Appointment Criteria

  • May not exceed one-twelfth (1/12) of the fiscal year salary
  • Faculty may not earn supplemental compensation on grant or contract funds with the exception of budgeted interdepartmental consulting
  • Employees hired under the Conditions of Administrative Service may not receive supplemental compensation in any amount from the University without the prior approval of the President or his designee
  • Hourly pay rate formula:  annualized salary / 2088

Faculty Form

When hiring ANY new individual it is recommended that you set an appointment to meet with someone in the Business Center so that they can answer any questions or concerns you may have about the hiring process. Any new hire will be processed through the Anthropology Business Center in conjunction with the SBS Dean's Office and Systems Control.

Staff Supplemental Compensation

A Classified Staff employee may be eligible to receive supplemental compensation when, in addition to the employee's normal work schedule:

  1. The employee is needed for specific times to work outside her or his normal work schedule in departments other than those to which the employee is normally assigned, or
  2. The employee is needed for specific times outside her or his normal work schedule to perform work in job classifications other than the job classification to which the employee is currently assigned.

Staff Form

Additional Resources

In order to be hired a student MUST be enrolled in classes prior to beginning the onboarding process. Any Federal Work Study new hires are required to be enrolled in a minimum of 6 units throughout the duration of their employment. Click here to view the different Student Employee Classifications with their corresponding description and pay range. 

Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant

To hire a graduate student as a Teaching/Research Assistant please contact the Business Center. Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant must be hired for the duration of a semester or the academic year. For summer pay of a Teaching/Research Assistant complete the Graduate Student Supplemental Compensation form provided below. 

Federal Work Study Funding

65% of pay is covered from Federal Work Study funds
25% of pay is covered from either a sponsored account (if applicable) or a non-sponsored account
10% of pay is covered from a non-sponsored account

Graduate Student Supplemental Compensation

The Supplemental Compensation form is used to authorize compensation in addition to the assignment currently held by the Graduate Assistant/Associate.

Graduate Student Form

Foreign Hires

Hiring a foreign individual can be significantly more complex, please contact the Business Center for additional information.

​Additional Resources

As the School of Anthropology continues to grow its community network, it may be necessary to register agencies, visiting scholars, principal investigators, volunteers etc. with the university. To do so please refer to the Guidelines For Designated Campus Colleagues (DCC).

DCC Worksheet 

(Takes you to the HR Forms page; scroll down for the DCC forms)

Additional Resources